Op-ed article in The New York Times, Boris Johnson, Donald Trump and the Rise of Radical Incompetence.
Discussion of Facebook and the threat to democracy, with Jamie Bartlett and Monica Horton.
Interview with Dan Hind and Tom Mills, exploring Facebook, Cambridge Analytica and the news agenda.
Discussion with James Butler and Eleanor Penny, broadcast 14th July 2017.
Interview recorded 13th July 2017.
The Rise of the Outsiders by Steve Richards, reviewed for Guardian Books
Talk given at CRASSH, Cambridge, 1st June (begins at 27 minutes)
Talk given to Goldsmiths MFA programme, 16th January 2017
This conference aims to address issues of social-scientific expertise and claims for authority in the light of recent political events and the rise of populism in Europe, the US, and elsewhere. These expressions represent different kinds of voice with implications for public debate and democratic practice and we believe that as social scientists and academics we have to bring our voices to bear more insistently within these debates.
More details here.
Since the Brexit referendum result on 23rd June, I’ve written a series of blogposts and articles trying to make sense of this crisis for the UK, both its antecedents and implications. I’ve collected these below, and will continue to add to this post as more appear.
- The Protective State – PERCblog, 6th October
- Interview on Brexit, Trump and ‘post-truth’ – Wisconsin Public Radio, 21st September
- The Age of Post-truth Politics – The New York Times, 24th August
- Brexit: Views from Wales – BBC documentary I participated in, 19th July
- Liberalism after Brexit – PERCblog, 13th July
- Brexit will make things worse: is that why people voted for it? – Washington Post 1st July
- What sort of crisis is this? – PERCblog, 29th June
- Thoughts on the Sociology of Brexit – PERCblog, 24th June (generously translated by readers into Greek, Italian and Spanish )
‘How statistics lost their power – and why we should fear what comes next’, published in The Guardian, February 2017.
This is also available as a podcast.